Child Abuse and Neglect: Second Edition
Extreame Savings Item! Save 50% on the Child Abuse and Neglect: Second Edition by Psychology Press at Biblio Smiles. MPN: 25 black & white illustrations, 8 black. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. Child abuse and neglect are examined in this new edition -- the latest research, what it entails, and how to recognize and report it. Federal law
Child abuse and neglect are examined in this new edition -- the latest research, what it entails, and how to recognize and report it. Federal law mandates the reporting of suspected child maltreatment by many professionals. This book will appeal to those who one day find themselves in the role of a mandated reporter.
Engaging learning tools are integrated throughout:
- Focus on Research boxes provide an in-depth look at research or methodologies.
- Case Examples and Debates encourage discussion about the gray areas in the field.
- Legal Examples and Focus on Law sections explain judicial rulings including guides for locating relevant state statutes.
- Discussion questions promote dialogue and deepen understanding of the material.
- Bold faced key terms defined when first introduced also appear in the book's glossary.
- Conclusions and Definitions help students focus on the key concepts introduced in each chapter.
The new edition also includes the following features:
- A thorough updating of the citations and state and federal laws, along with the latest statistics on incidence and prevalence based on the new National Incidence Study NIS-4.
- A new chapter on resiliency (Chapter 10) and more discussion of resilience in the face of maltreatment in the chapters on types of abuse (Chapters 4–9) provide a better understanding of why some children thrive despite experiencing maltreatment.
- New "Profiles" boxes that feature information about graduate training in child maltreatment, descriptions of jobs in the field, or biographies of people who work in the field to increase students‘ awareness of possible career opportunities.
- Web-based instructor resources including PowerPoints, weblinks, and a test bank with multiple-choice, short answer, and essay questions.
- More tables, figures, and photos to better illustrate and summarize key points.
- New sections on child maltreatment in military families (Chapter 2), child obesity as a result of maltreatment (Chapter 5), teen "sexting" and its possible prosecution as child sexual abuse and Susan Clancy’s controversial thesis published in The Trauma Myth (Chapter 7).
- Updated and more case examples including recent events that captured the public’s attention such as the case of Jessica Beagley convicted of child abuse for forcing her son to ingest hot sauce and of Latrece Jones convicted of negligent homicide for failing to have her son in a car seat.
The book opens with the background on child maltreatment including its history, an overview of the research, and the risk factors. Details about mandated reporting are also explored. Different forms of maltreatment – physical abuse, neglect, psychological maltreatment, sexual abuse, fetal abuse, and Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome – are then examined, along with the new chapter on resiliency. Incidence estimates and consequences for each type of maltreatment are provided. Legal issues including forensic interviewing are then reviewed. The book concludes with an example of what happens to a child after a report is filed along with suggestions for preventing child maltreatment.
Intended as a text for courses in child abuse, child maltreatment, family violence, or sexual and intimate violence taught in psychology, human development, education, criminal justice, social work, sociology, women’s studies, and nursing, this book is also an invaluable resource to workers who are mandated reporters of child maltreatment and/or anyone interested in the problem.
|Part Number:||25 black & white illustrations, 8 black|
|MPN:||25 black & white illustrations, 8 black|
|Item Weight:||1.6 pounds|
|Item Size:||0.88 x 10 x 10 inches|
|Package Weight:||1.3 pounds|
|Package Size:||7 x 1 x 1 inches|